Saturday, March 31, 2012

Slice of Life #31 - I Feel Unwriterly Today



"Unwritten"
by
Natasha Bedingfield

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

Oh, oh, oh

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


 
Today I just didn't feel "writerly." I thought what a horrible way to end this beautiful challenge. It shouldn't be this way I thought. I should feel more "writerly" shouldn't I??? I began to think I'm just not pushing myself enough and asked, "Am I just phoning it in?" Then I heard this song as I was running today and and I ran a bit harder, it summed up how I was feeling. All I can see sometimes is that blank page, I need to trust that if I "open the window" and "feel the rain,"  "drench myself in words unspoken" ideas and words will come. Some days they'll be good, but most days it will be dribble.

I also read some quotes about writer's block in a link posted yesterday at Merely Day By Day by Cathy Mere that were very encouraging!

I have learned that when I write from the gut I think it's most powerful and moving. What I've also learned is that even when my writing is dribble, there is some nugget of truth in about me and when you're part of a writing community they appreciate it because they get to know you a little better. They see past the yuck and mine it for the nugget. It makes it a safe place to "have a go" at this writing thing because as we know the only way to get better is to write. My favorite quote is below. It was under the heading, "Cope with Badness."

"We can't be as good as we'd want to, so the question then becomes, how do we cope with our own badness?"  by Nick Hornby

 
That's how I feel today.

I've also been struggling with where to go from here. I know I want to keep up with Tuesday slices, but I can't keep up more than one blog. My original intention was for this blog, "Refining Our Craft" to be reflections of our teaching lives, but I don't think it's stretch to include writing in with the "Craft." After all, I strongly believe that to be good writing teachers we need to be writer's, so I feel I will be doing just that.
I'm also excited about April being poetry month! And have already included My Juicy Little Universe by Heidi Mordhorst and No Water River by Renee LaTulippe on my blog roll to see what it's all about. I already had subscribed to The Poem Farm by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater and would highly recommend it!I'm excited to continue refining my craft of writing poetry - I know I have a long way to go, but so far it's been fun!

It has been a pleasure and a priviledge joining all of you in this challenge. I have learned and been inspired by you and find your writing and your words filter into my thoughts through out my days. The beauty of your language and craft have become a part of me - know you've changed me for the better! We'll catch up on Tuesdays or more!

I did also remember a quote that talked about reflecting on your writing is not writing, so I had a go at squeezing out a poem, like Elsie talked about in her slice yesterday at elsie tries writing, in honor of Poetry Friday!


Slice

So
comes
loveless
endings



                             
Click here to returen to Two Writing Teachers and other slices!




13 comments:

  1. Reflecting on writing may not be considered writing in a quote but it is clearly a very important part in a writer's life. It gives you a chance to pause, breathe and then move on. Tuesday is not very far away.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Drench yourself in words unspoken" This line in the song is my favorite.

    I love that you chose a different path today. I think when authors invite us into their favorite prose, poetry, song...they tell us what they are thinking even if they did not originally pen it. You went beyond by then explaining why that song spoke to you. Mixing it up keeps you fresh even when you think you have nothing left. Keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you have to "just write" and it helps to work out what you want to say. Even if you felt unwriterly, you wrote. That's what's important. So, what I'm hearing you say is this is not over, you will continue. I say, Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, it has been a pleasure to "get to know you" over the past month. I have learned from your writing. I have appreciated your comments. Thank you for letting us in. CONGRATS on slicing 31 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo for your March challenge success. I felt the same way this morning. It wasn't as easy as it usually is but I just wrote through it and got a flow going even if it was always hard to keep going. That was just what I felt yesterday at the gym. Probably what you feel running some days, no?
    Keep it going that's the key...
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Running is exactly the same way...I just need to get started!

      Delete
  6. So, for being "unwriterly" you managed to pull quite a wonderful reflection off. I love the poem, the unevenness of it seems to communicate your feelings well. I love this: "Drench yourself in words unspoken/Live your life with arms wide open"-such an easy rhythm, but firm in the intention. And I enjoyed that you are pondering what to do next. I love poetry & will continue on this April writing more poetry & trying my best to keep up with those wonderful poets you mentioned. It will be fun, I think, & another kind of challenge. Looking forward to hearing from you through your post, Jen, & thank you for your constant loyalty to my posts. I appreciated every one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If this is your unwriterly style...you better keep writing. I loved the way you wove words into your post...much like you did on the first post I read 31 days ago. Your writing makes you real..and that is a compliment. Thanks for the feedback...and please keep writing....I suspect I'll be buying your books some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that song! And I love you as a writer - you're honest, reflective, and working to improve your craft. In my humble opinion, it doesn't get a lot better than that!

    I'm so glad we both did this challenge. Your encouraging words along the way were so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post! It was so nice to "meet" you. I am anxious to see how you continue, and especially, to watch you engage with poetry (one of my biggest fears). I might just have to push myself to give it a shot in the upcoming month! Yikes! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me singing along! I know what you mean about keeping up with one blog...my teaching life and writing life have to be limited to one blog, and the Tuesday slices are perfect. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me singing right along! I know what you mean about two blogs...my teaching life and writing life are limited to one blg, but the Tuesday slicing is such a great way to. Keep our writing lives going. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I think you got a lot of writing in here. I felt a lot of pressure for "the last slice," but I had to set it aside. It was what it was. I love your reflection about how hard it is to write. Like you, I love that readers "find the nugget and mine it." I look forward to following as you continue your journey. (and thanks for the mention)

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete